I enjoyed watching this video – The Happy Secret to Better Work. Watch it if you can. I’ll wait.
I’ve been adapting my life over the years to help me become a better and happier person in my personal life and at work. (I actually don’t like separating work and life into separate categories because I believe they should work in harmony – not one or the other. But that’s another story).
I find the above video explains very well what I’m trying to do in addition to giving me some tips to continually improve whatever it is I’m trying to do.
Success Through Happiness
The underlying principal is that the majority of us are trying to find happiness through success. However, we should be finding success through happiness. We need to flip things around.
So it might be:
- Do things that will make us happy.
- Exercise to keep our bodies sharp.
- Eat well.
- Do work that is engaging.
- Spending quality time with friends and family.
Through this we will become happy and successful on our own terms (not the terms that society dictates)
- Working hard in the hope at some point we will achieve the success.
- Not eating well.
- Not exercising.
- Making sacrifices that we hope will pay off at some point.
- And then hope that we’ll be happy.
As a society we think that happiness will come with success, but in our hearts I think many of us know that is not true. You only need to look at the lives of many ‘successful’ people and see that they aren’t really happy and many are actually very unhealthy and miserable.
I personally don’t want to succeed if the sacrifice is my health. That’s failure in my eyes.
How Am I Finding Success?
Of course it’s through happiness, one by one I’m doing things that make me feel good.
- I exercise daily (most of the time)
- I eat well (most of the time)
- I spend lots of time with my family
- I work hard, under my terms
- I am creating a business that I feel happy with (it’s taken a while, but I seem to be getting there).
- I feel my confidence and happiness in my work is reflecting in my steady and consistent growth.
Things I’d like to be doing (helpful points from the video):
- showing more gratitude
- journalling / blogging
- doing more random acts of kindess
- meditating, just a little bit
Everything I do are small changes and efforts where that genuinely make me feel positive as a person. There haven’t been many drastic changes in my life…each one of them have been one thing at a time. Looking back – my life has actually changed quite a lot. I can see it working and hopefully with conscious efforts I will continue along this very interesting and challenging task in life!