My work and home life very much overlaps. I do what I need to do to get things done.
Sometimes this means working late. Sometimes it means having a lie in. Sometimes stress is included too – “like argghh, I’m supposed to be looking after the kids, but all this stuff is happening around me!” 🙂
When my kids are on school holidays I usually take time off with them, but I usually end up working part of it, mostly the evenings. So in some sense I’ve been doing worklidays for quite a while.
But now is my first chance at a proper workliday in America, a holiday mixed with a bit of work. Some make thing I’m crazy to do this, but there are advantages.
- Travelling with kids is exhausting – we’ve opted to take a longer holiday to get over the long travel hours. This is particularly tiring with Codie, long flights or car rides are hardest on him. Lots to accomodate.
- We feel we can stay away that bit longer – instead of going for a couple of weeks, we’ll be away for a month. Most people can’t afford to do that.
- I’m in a different mindset – I’ll be aiming to do more writing over these weeks, rather than day to day tasks that often consume me entirely.
- It’s empowering – I love the fact that I can work from anywhere. I hope this will continue.
- I will only work when nothing else is planned, when there is downtime and I am not sure what to do with myself! Like right now. My boys are out exploring in the woods. They just found a small snake, have caught it and are now trying to find food for it. And unfortunately Codie has been unwell and my husband has taken him to get checked over, just to be on the safe side of things. All seems ok.
And me? I’m catching up on a few emails. Writing this blog post. And feeling very happy about how our TestBash went on Friday. More on that soon!